Latvia’s State Forests Kalsnava Arboretum
- We speak: English, Russian, German, Latvian
- Plenty of parking space for cars and buses.
- Plants for sale
- Wheelchair friendly
- Restroom available
- Picnic/resting place(s) available
- Drinks and snacks available. Contact for more info.
- Rain and sun shelter available
- 6 spaces for camper vans.
The Latvian State Forests (LVM) Kalsnava Arboretum is a unique place – a bright green environment where visitors can learn about and delight in the diversity of woody plants. Non-native woody plants are tested here for their durability in Latvian climate conditions.
Visitors to the LVM Kalsnava Arboretum have the opportunity to witness the beauty of these non-native woody plants, to participate in educational events, as well as receive advice on planning and setting up their own garden.
The Arboretum is a collection of trees, shrubs and lianas, where long-term observations are made on how the plants develop, their suitability to particular climates, and the production and propagation of seeds.
The Arboretum was started in 1975 and now covers an area of 144ha, while the trees and shrubs cover 98ha.
Collections on view at the Kalsnava Arboretum:
- northern white-cedars (Thuja sp.)
- mock oranges (Philadelphus sp.)
- a collection of conifers
- flowering crabapple trees (Malus sp.)
- a garden of peonies (Paeonia sp.)
- a lilac garden (Syringa sp.)
- a collection of vines
- dwarf evergreen trees
- a collection of American cranberries
- a collection of mountain ashes (Sorbus sp.)
- a forest of rhododendrons (Rhododendron sp.)
- water lilies
- rare plants.
In the arboretum you can:
- relax in a lush and well-kept environment;
- take photos in an unforgettable environment;
- get to know the diversity of rare plants;
- go on guided tours;
- get a consultation from a dendrologist on creating your dream garden;
- participate in themed events and workshops;
- attend classes by LVM Zaļais pagalms (LSF Green Yard);
- go on an LVM forest expedition;
- organise seminars and meetings;
- get married surrounded by rare plants and flowers;
- test your orientation skills in the conifer labyrinth;
- climb the 25m-high observation tower;
- play educational games;
- enjoy a meal in a landscaped recreation area;
- purchase ornamental tree and shrub seeds, seedlings for your garden, various floristry supplies, as well as original souvenirs.
Trailer parking. Free Wi-fi. Shower room. Free drinking water. Event space (for up to 65 people). Sightseeing tower. Campfire (firewood provided). Picnic tables. Venue for wedding ceremonies (at extra cost).
Regular ticket: 4 EUR.
Seniors, students and school kids: 2 EUR.
Family ticket: 8 EUR.
Guided tour: 25 EUR.
Friendly prices for visitors with disabilities.
- Group visits
Up to 25 persons in a guided group.
Open all year round.
- Opening hours
1 May - 15 October
Mon - Closed.
Tue - Fri 9:00 - 18:00
Sat 10:00 - 17:00
Sun 10:00 - 15:00.
16 October - 30 April
Mon - Fri 10:00 - 15:00
Sat, Sun - Closed